If you think you’re popular enough to get a verified Twitter account, then you can follow the steps below to request Twitter to verify your account, and then you’ll find out if it’s eligible.
If the Twitter team deems your account as an account of public interest after checking it out, then you will get notified via email and your account will instantly start showing the blue verified badge on the upper left next to your name, right below your profile picture.
Another cool thing is that your account will also display the blue verified badge on search results around the web, so when people search for your name or your company’s name on Google, for example, it will return search results that include probably all your social media profiles, and within those social profiles you will also see your Twitter account with the blue verified badge right next to it.
Who can verify a Twitter account? Account types entitled to verification are usually those maintained by high-profile users in government, music, sports, acting, politics, business, religion, journalism, media, and more. As per Twitter’s Help Center, in order to verify your account, you must meet the following criteria:
- A verified phone number in your account.
- A real email address that has already been confirmed.
- A profile picture/photo.
- A header photo.
- A bio.
- If you are not a company, organization, or brand, then you should also include your birthday.
- The URL of your own website.
- And you also need to set your Tweets as “public” in the Tweet privacy settings.
- Also, if you are not a company or organization, but an individual instead, then you will also need to include the copy of a government issued ID that belongs to you, so that they can confirm the request. But don’t worry, according to Twitter’s help center, this information will be immediately deleted as soon as the account verification process is completed.
If you don’t meet all the requirements, you’ll get a message like the one shown in the image below:
But, if you do meet all the requirements, then you can follow these steps to request to get your account verified:
How to Verify Twitter Account
- Go to https://support.twitter.com/forms/verify.
- Click “Continue”.
- Select the username that you want to verify from the list of usernames in the drop-down menu.
- Click “Next”.
- And now you’ll just have to wait for your account to be reviewed by Twitter’s support team.
Once your account has been reviewed, you will get notified by mail if your request was approved or rejected. If approved, you will instantly start seeing the blue verified badge displayed on your Twitter account page.
If you are not eligible for a blue verified badge yet, you will also get notified via email, but then you’ll have to get out there and work three times harder in order to boost your account’s popularity, and once it’s popular enough you’ll have to start Twitter’s account verification process request all over again.
If you already have a Twitter account, but want to get rid of it, then check out our Delete Twitter Account guide to learn more.